Friday, December 30, 2011

Let's Catch Up / Laundry Day Card.

Hi everyone! Are you ready for the New Year? I'm not but I am working on it.  I wanted to post a tutorial on how to make a simple but super cute card.  So let's get started!

Here is the card we will be making today.
This is what I used!

One piece of white cardstock cut down to 8 ½” by 5 1/2”  When scored down the center it becomes a  perfect  A2  sized  card.
One   5 ½” by 4 ¼” piece of black card stock (or any colored solid will work) as well as a piece of black cards stock to used for the scalloped matte.
One   5 ¼” by 4” piece of patterned card stock, I used this cute stripe
One 6” piece of ribbon
One graphic stamp and sentiment, I used a digital stamp from http://nanavicsdigitals.blogspot.com and came up with my own sentiment.
I also used my Spellbinders dies,Helmar's 450 Quick Dry, Helmar's Liquid Scrap Dots, and colored pencils and markers.

So let's get started. I printed out my digi stamp with my custom sentiment and then colored the image in with my colored pencils. I used Gamsol and paper stumps for blending, then added detail with my markers.  
 When using Gamsol and Colored Pencils, you want to first color your area in with the pencils, using different shades to highlight and shadow your image. Then dip your paper blending stump into the Gamsol and using the wet end of the stump use it to gently blend in your colors.


Your finished image should look something like this. Now you are ready to cut and matte your image.











Here you can see I used my Spellbinders circle die to cut out my image and then I used the scalloped circle die to create the matte for the image.  I did this in black to make the image pop. It was then that I realized that I forgot to color the little ladies hair, I went ahead and did that with a reddish brown marker.

 Now you have all the pieces to start assembling your card. First your need to take your 8 1/2" by 5 1/2" piece of card stock and score it to create a 5 1/2" by 4 1/4" card. Then attach your black piece of card stock. After that is attached you will want to attach the ribblon to your piece of patterned paper.   Once that is done, center the patterned paper onto your card base. Adhere this down. I used Helmar's 450 Quick Dry adhesive.  Then glue your image circle onto your scalloped matte.  Then using your zap dots or in my case Helmar's Liquid Scrapdots, attach your scalloped image to the front of your card. I also attached a 4" by 5 1/4" piece of white card stock to the inside of the card base.  Don't forget to add your sentiment! For this one I hand cut them out because they were so tiny. As you can see I got the bottom line straight but had a little bit of a challenge with the top line.

I hope you enjoyed this tutorial!  Please feel free to leave a comment and to join my blog.
Cheers!
Laurie







8 comments:

  1. Love the card and great tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Tish! The digi stamp cracked me up and inspired this card.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Laurie, Your card is wonderful. The image is way tooo funny. Great Tutorial. I'm a follower now. Looking forward in seeing all your wonderful projects in the new year.
    Hugs, Pat

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, Thanks Pat! She was a free digi! You should go grab her for yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Too cute! thanks for playing along with ICS!

    ReplyDelete
  6. teehee, this is very cute... Love the image :) Thanks for playing with ICSketches this week :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank You so much Sara and Jess. Its so nice to see people visiting my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  8. it's the first card with laundry I have ever seen! :)
    thanks for playing at ICSketches.

    ReplyDelete